Monday, March 31, 2008

i rode my bike for 20 miles!

Saturday I participated in the Rosedale Ride. This is a fundraiser for the Rosedale School, the only school in AISD that serves children with multiple disabilities.

I put my bike rack on my car Friday night, and had to wrestle my bike onto it Saturday morning, which made me a tad late. I joined a group at the start line--in FRONT of the sign that said 20+. I assumed the group i joined was only going 20 miles, and I missed connecting with my friend Peggy Lamb. The 20+ sign should have just said 20, and I soon learned that I had joined the 40-mile group. Oh, well, huh?

It was cloudy and cool Saturday morning. I wore bike shorts and the Rosedale Ride t-shirt that was in the packet I picked up Friday night. I wish I had worn layers that I could add or subtract as needed, because not only was it cool, it was windy, and it was hard to get warmed up just from riding. Chalk it up to a lesson learned in this new activity. I was warm enough by the end, 2+ hours later.

More people passed me than I passed. I figured later this was because road bikes with skinny tires are faster than hybrid bikes like mine, which have clunky tires. Oh well, again, because it was a ride, not a race.

The countryside was glorious, out kind of southeast of Pflugerville. Lots of open fields, some with cows, wildflowers, although not many bluebonnets except in one lavishly blue farmyard.

Peggy and I connected at the first rest stop and rode within sight of each other the rest of the race. She had rented a road bike for the race--a $1600 bike from Bicycle Sport Shop. She beat me going down hills, and I caught up going up hills.

I took a photo of my friend John Slatin with me. John passed away last Monday. It seemed fitting to take his liberated spirit with me out under the big sky.

After the rest stop, I got more playful. I would stand on my pedals to stretch. I mooed at cows. I saw buzzards circling. I wove. I like making that movement by steering in a wiggly line.

Peggy and I were both exhausted at the end, but I still felt the thrill of "victory" when I crossed the finish line complete with an arch of balloons, cheers from ride supporters, and even someone holding a sign that said "Pedal Faster"! There was msuic and refreshment at the end.

I plan to do it again next year. I hope it will be a little warmer and a better year for bluebonnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment