Friday, March 14, 2008

fragrant downtown

Kudos to whomever at the city decided to put planters of mountain laurel at each corner on Congress between Cesar Chavez and 11th St. Those mountain laurels are in bloom now, and what a pleasant surprise it was to take a mid-day stroll up and down Congress and occasionally get a noseful of their delightful purple perfume.

It was so balmy today, I considered whether it was a perfect day. I remembered Maui and decided that it was perfect for Austin today. It's balmy and fragrant year-round in Maui.

Sixth Street is blocked off for SWSX, I saw as I was riding my bike. Parking anywhere central is going to be expensive or impossible tonight.

I'll be biking over to Flipnotics in a bit to catch Sarah Temple's show, and also Michael Fracasso, Jane Bond, and maybe even Matt the Electrician and Beaver Nelson, if I stay that late.

Sarah Temple is a fabulous young Latin singer--she sings in English, Spanish, Portuguese, and her native Catalan. For a listen, go to her MySpace page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=288467281

Just hope that the SWSXers smitten with Austin know about the terrible summer heat and humidity here and decide it's better to visit Austin than to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment