Friday, March 28, 2008

in memory of John Slatin

My friend John Slatin died this week. He wasn't a really close friend, but he was someone I liked a lot. I met him and his wife Anna Carroll through Body Choir, the freeform dance community I participated in for years and still have many social connections with.

Link to his obituary: http://www.legacy.com/statesman/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=106462227

John had leukemia for the last few years and underwent a lot of medical care. I mean, really a lot, including chemo, radiation, and a bone marrow transplant. After that, he and Anna lived in isolation for 100 days in Houston. It takes a lot of valour, and he and Anna had it.

John was a man who became blind as an adult. He had a guide dog, Dillon, who has cancer too. I imagine Dillon will follow John to the other side, and that they will have each other as companions in the afterlife. That vision gives me comfort.

I liked John for his adventurousness. Imagine a blind man dancing in a crowded room! Or performing in a choreographed dance at the Kennedy Center. Or becoming blind as an adult and using his UT faculty position to advocate for making the web accessible to those with disabilities. He never seemed to feel sorry for himself--he just adjusted.

John also published a blog for a while, called The Leukemia Letters, that chronicled his journey, and that Anna and others close to him posted on when he was unable. He was a good writer; I enjoyed reading it from time to time. Click the title of this post to go there.

I also liked John's sweet nature and his intelligence. I wish I had known him better.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you had known him better, too, for your own pleasure. John was exactly as you described him, and more. His spirit will live on with all who knew him, and with many who didn't - through his work. He was an inspiration. To many of us, he was our accessibility guru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Kathy. It's painful that sometimes it takes someone's death to really get all that they were. We may know them in just one of many contexts of their lives. John was like that. The world can use more people like John Slatin, and I'm glad his spirit will live on.

    ReplyDelete