Tuesday, March 4, 2008

my waking protocol

Last fall, I came up with some exercises that I do each day before I get out of bed. Several people have asked about them recently, so I'm writing it up and posting it here.

I got started with ankle rotations to prevent plantar fasciitis several years ago. I've added exercises for hip flexibility (some from Feldenkrais), for lymph flow (courtesy Nina Davis, my cranio-sacral therapist, and EFT), for brain enhancement (from Brain Gym and Smart Moves by Dr. Carla Hannaford), for neural pathways to representational systems (courtesy NLP), some yoga, exercises to release energy blocks (shamanism), and for life force (chanting).

I don't always do all of them, and I don't always do them in the same order, although I always work from foot to head.

Another main principle is that I do an odd number of repetitions, although sometimes I just do however many feels like enough.

I make sure each side of my body gets balanced exercise.

I notice where I feel tight, achy, and uneven, and work for relaxation, pain-free, and balance. Awareness is a big part of this. I have a mild lumbar scoliosis, and getting my back and hips aligned has been a major ongoing project since last summer. I do several yoga classes each week, and see a chiropractor and cranio-sacral therapist. Some of the morning exercises I do are designed to increase flexibility and strength in the areas where i have an imbalance.

I start lying flat on my back, legs extended.

ankle rotation: rotate ankles in each direction (circles), then outline a square with toes each direction--prevents plantar fasciitis

hip wiggle: alternate right and left hip and leg stretching down--scoliosis

hip circle (actually an oval): round and round--for scoliosis

hip figure eight--for scoliosis and cross-lateral nervous system

sacrum circles: with knees bent and feet on bed, move head in synchrony with pelvis. go slowly for places with hitches. After doing both sides, I move pelvis and head in opposite directions. --for scoliosis and coordination

lymphatic massage where legs join torso--for cleansing toxins from lower body

bridge pose while breathing into lower back--for scoliosis

cross-crawl (opposite elbow to knee)--cross-lateral nervous system

hug knees to chest--for scoliosis

spinal twist with legs extended--for scoliosis

tap upper chest and collarbone while affirming "I, Mary, completely and unconditionally love myself."

lymphatic massage at collarbone--for cleansing toxins from upper body

chant "om" three times--makes my energy field feel sparkly!

thinking caps (unroll edges of ears)--stimulates brain center for hearing

massage skin behind ears--ditto, also for cerebellum

massage triangle where with open mount, jaw and skull meet--for speech and hearing

eye rolling and +X pattern--creating neural pathways

tap face--for lymph flow, prevents wrinkles

pico-pico breathing: inhale earth energy through feet, bring up to fill body and head, exhale through crown chakra (prana for developing the undeveloped selves); then inhale cosmic energy through crown chakra, fill body, and exhale through legs (release baggage, stuckness, unconscious destructive patterns and habits)

alternate nostril breathing--balances brain hemispheres

By now, I'm fully awake and ready to get out of bed and go about my day. I know it must look silly, but I don't care--it really helps me prepare for whatever may happen that day, and I believe that doing these exercises daily builds long-term resources.

I'm willing to add to these as needed, and perhaps I will start an evening protocol. Right now I usually just collapse with a smile of gratitude and drift off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment