Monday, June 9, 2008

scoliosis update

a couple of months ago, i started seeing a healer. her name is patrice, and she's good, and i can tell you now that she's not taking new clients.

patrice does acupuncture, myo-fascial deep tissue work like rolfing. she knows iridology, nutrition, massage, energy work, NLP, ayurveda, and probably a lot more i don't know about. i consider her a real physician.

at the first session, she told me to make a sling out of sheets that i could use to hang upside down twice a day. this allows gravity to pull down on my torso, helping my spine straighten. how brilliant is that?

she also prescribed using a spine aligner on my back and feet.

i realized today that one thing i really like about working with her is that my progress is rapid enough that i feel results. after the second session, i began to feel that my left leg was really under me. the awareness of my neck that hanging upside down has brought means my neck feels loose and aligned.

so right now for my scoliosis, i hang upside down twice a day for 7 minutes and do twists, twirls, and bends as well as surrender to gravity. i take two yoga classes a week and do it other times as needed. i flex my feet and spread my toes often to have a better energetic and physical connection with the ground. i do a couple of internal rolfing exercises patrice taught me. i use the spine aligner twice a day on my back and use it on my feet whenever i can.

i pay more attention to my stance, footstrike, and symmetry. i feel uneven between left and right sides in the lower back/upper butt area, and there are places that "catch". the left side is weaker than the right; the left muscles feel tighter.

on the whole, i notice far fewer pains in the left piriformis where it attaches to my sacrum. i have more awareness of my butt and sitz bones. i generally feel better.

patrice has also advised me on summer shoes (keen brand is recommended), and on cleansing. she advocates harmony with nature.

i go to the chiropractor less often, and my last session with my cranio-sacral therapist was amazing.

the body can really heal! it's pretty amazing, and finding the practitioners who can accelerate that is truly a blessing.

and patrice is adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment