Friday, April 18, 2008

poem: the widening sky

From Panhala--see links.

At Evolutionary NLP last weekend, my teacher, Tom Best, assigned homework. One task was to find a poem illuminating the surf around the Island of the Tonal. I believe this poem does it beautifully, as a "self" grows so small as to disappear and yet be filled with love.

I will seek another poem of the surf, with moving-toward energy.


The Widening Sky
by Edward Hirsch

I am so small walking on the beach
at night under the widening sky.

The wet sand quickens beneath my feet
and the waves thunder against the shore.

I am moving away from the boardwalk
with its colorful streamers of people

and the hotels with their blinking lights.
The wind sighs for hundreds of miles.

I am disappearing so far into the dark
I have vanished from sight.

I am a tiny seashell
that has secretly drifted ashore

and carries the sound of the ocean
surging through its body.

I am so small now no one can see me.
How can I be filled with such a vast love?

No comments:

Post a Comment