Monday, April 28, 2008

austin cycling association

I joined the Austin Cycling Association today. It's got a groovy website with a forum, a monthly meeting, a newsletter, free group rides, and MAPS! They also have a lobbying/political arm, apparently with a lot of clout in the last local elections. That's how I heard of them.

I like that--a local organization that advocates for better consideration of cyclists. Even if they got started to protest mandatory helmets--and I wear a helmet--I like that they keep up with what's going on in the city that impacts bicyclists. Like potholes, bike lanes, bike trails, the city bicycle plan, etc.

I have a dream, that Austin is a safe place to ride your bike--to work, to the store, for fun.

So far, so good. I'm on month four of often commuting to work on my bike, as well as riding it to run errands and just for fun. I feel like I'm in my second childhood. I never got enough of riding my bicycle!

Plus, it's healthy exercise, and it helps move us away from an oil-based economy and what that has meant in terms of foreign policy, consumer habits, obesity, etc.

Viva bicycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment