Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 review--health

was thinking last night about what was significant in my life in 2009. health was big.

in february, i went to a NUCCA chiropractor and got my atlas adjusted. after a year or two of lots of yoga, and working with my acupuncturist/rolfer/yoga/diet coach and my cranio-sacral therapist and traditional chiropractors, i was still waking up sometimes with back pain. NUCCA sounded like a good bet. even if they didn't find any misalignment, at least i could rule it out.

the x-rays showed my atlas was off by 5 degrees in one direction. dr. shelley lorenzen at backnbalance.biz aligned my atlas in two sessions a week apart, and since then, i've held the alignment.

my insurance didn't cover it, so i paid probably $900-1000 out of pocket for treatment and 9 months of follow-up visits, when dr. shelley used an activator to gently tap my bones into even more alignment. it has been worth every penny. i can go back on an as-needed basis.

i can't recommend NUCCA enough if you know your left side and right sides are different--shoulders and/or pelvis not level, the soles of your shoes wear differently, one side is much stronger and more dominant than the other, and nothing else has fully healed your spinal problems.

the best after-NUCCA difference has been an awareness of new energy that i assume the scoliosis was diminishing. my energy flows much more freely through the meridians on the left side of my body than before. i feel more alive. more connected. better balanced. having more resources.  more integrated--more myself in some mysterious way.

there's still a way to go with the energy. my cranio-sacral therapist at my last session told me as she sensed it how my body was actively changing its energetic patterns. i can feel it sometimes, but she has super well-developed sensitivity in her hands and in-depth left-brain knowledge of anatomy. she can be really precise about what's happening where in my body. i can follow the energy when she says what she notices. it improves my sensory awareness. this experience was a marvel to me.

two things she told me stuck in my mind: when i asked her if this was going on in my body all the time outside my awareness, she said yes, and added that the process tends to accelerate in people who do yoga and meditation. i already do yoga (3 classes a week + home asana + drop-in at various studios). this is another reason to pick up on my meditation practice... more on that in a later post.

the other thing she said is that the energies from my sacrum and from my left ilium (pelvis) aren't hooking up. she sensed the energies on the ilium side lined up at the edge wanting to cross that little chasm. they're more reluctant on the sacrum side.

this makes sense i only learned a few of months ago how to realign my left SI joint when it went out of whack, and it's only been 4-6 weeks since it went out. so that part of my body doesn't have much experience being strong and stable.

s i have that to look forward to in 2010. better energy flow throughout my entire body.

i find this stuff fascinating, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment