Friday, September 4, 2009

Truth Be Told, part 3

As I mentioned in part 1, I fell in love with local nonprofit Truth Be Told when I attended a graduation of incarcerated women telling their stories in the Lockhart prison. In part 2, I wrote about how I volunteered and served on the board of directors for a couple of years and helped the organization gain stability and traction as a nonprofit.

Now I am listing several upcoming opportunities that Truth Be Told is offering--ways to witness the work, ask questions and learn more, and offer your support.

1. If you are interested in attending a graduation at the Lockhart prison, there are 4 openings left as of right now for the graduation on Friday, September 25. These 4 spots will go quickly. (I'll be there!) TDCJ limits attendance to 20 people. This is for graduates of Truth Be Told's entry-level classes.

If you are interested in attending, please email shannon_holtzendorf@yahoo.com or call 670-5354 ASAP!

If September 25 won't work, another graduation is scheduled for Friday, November 20. There are only 4 opportunities to attend a graduation per year. (Also, just letting you know, TDCJ requires your DL# and SS#. I haven't heard of any problems with sharing this data with TBT and TDCJ--it should be safe.)

2. An informational meeting, Behind and Beyond Bars, is scheduled for Wednesday, September 30. This is from 6-7 pm. You can meet founders, teachers, key players, including a graduate, and ask questions. I will post location info when I get it. Anyone can attend; RSVPs appreciated--email office@truth-be-told.org or call Shannon at 670-5354.

If you plan to go to the graduation or the fundraiser, attending this is recommended, because you may not have a chance at the more structured events to get to know the people involved and ask questions.

3. Truth Be Told's annual fundraiser luncheon, Light of a New Day, is scheduled for Wednesday, October 7, 12-1, at the Region XII Education Service Center, 5701 Springdale Road. This is definitely an RSVP event; if you are interested, please RSVP to me, and you can join me at my table!

This is a free luncheon. You will be asked to consider making a contribution, but it is not required and there's no minimum or maximum gift--Truth Be Told's job is to inspire you to want to give! You'll hear from the founders, graduates, board members, be entertained and moved, meet new people, watch a video from a graduation, and you WILL be inspired!

I'd love to see you there! You may bring friends and family, anyone you think would be interested--and we do need a head count, so RSVP for them too please.


I consider this one of the most worthwhile groups to which I am connected. It's local and therefore personal. TBT has a great and positive impact on the lives of incarcerated women behind and beyond bars, and that ripples out into the community and into the future, literally making the world a better place. I'd be honored to have you join me with you support in any way you are able.

Website: http://www.truth-be-told.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment