Monday, September 28, 2009

local giving

Before I got involved with Truth Be Told, my charitable giving was erratic. A few dollars here and there, all of course to great organizations doing good work, such as Sierra Club, NRDC, Planned Parenthood, and so on.

Since I first attended a Truth Be Told fundraiser 5 years ago, I have become a regular donor to TBT, giving monthly from my paycheck.

I like getting the statement each January of what I donated the previous years, which I use in filing my taxes. It adds up.

But what really makes me feel great is giving locally. My money stays in the community. Truth Be Told has one paid position, that of executive director, and it's a part-time position. All of the facilitators and facilitator trainees donate their time. The website and newsletter are maintained by volunteers. A volunteer coach works with the ED and founders as a labor of love. A volunteer provided the wonderful logo, and others have volunteered their services such as strategic planning.

My money goes to pay for the ED' salary, gas for their travel to the Lockhart prison and the Travis County State Jail, materials such as journals and pens for the inmates to use in the classes, postage, a phone line, P.O. box, graduation certificates, and so on. All these expenses add up, and I'm glad I can make a difference.

Best of all is that I get to meet the women who have graduated from Truth Be Told's classes at graduations in Lockhart (just went to my fourth last Friday), and those who have been released from prison who stay connected.

Each month TBT invites people to attend a talk, Behind and Beyond Bars, about their work, and a released graduate usually comes. Next one is this Tuesday--see their website (www.truth-be-told.org) for time and location.

And quite a few graduates will be attending the luncheon on October 7, sharing their stories of what TBT has meant to them. Some will use their gifts to perform. For them, TBT was a lifeline. And others will be on a video of a graduation that will be shown.

I hope you will consider attending.

No comments:

Post a Comment