Tuesday, January 20, 2009

this is a day the Lord hath made

and WE shall rejoice in it.

I heard Cicely Tyson say that when a camera crew found her sitting in a chair waiting for the inauguration to begin.

I watched the ceremony on a very large TV in one of our conference rooms at work, with a roomful of my colleagues. I brought a box of Kleenexes. I only used one, although I felt near sobs a couple of times.

I am pleased that Rick Warren did not focus on divisive issues. Obama's influence?

I am thrilled that Aretha Franklin sang My Country 'Tis of Thee. How regal was she in her gray hat! What a great choice to have her sing. I saw her a couple of years ago. Just an amazing presence.

I'm mentally ranking her version of that song up there with Ray Charles' version of God Bless America. Both are infused with such feeling.

The words of the Shaker hymn, "tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free," came to mind as I listened to Itzhak Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, and others play. The music was written by John Williams with a strong allusion Aaron Copeland's Appalachian Spring. I actually gasped when I recognized the hymn, when the clarinet began. It is just a divine piece of music. Will post the lyrics separately.

Even though it is mid-January, that piece is about the beginning of spring. Now for our country, now for our world.

And I am so grateful for the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza. Spring, people! Israel finished withdrawing troops from Gaza in time for the inauguration.

Rev. Lowery with the cadences in his sermon, bringing smiles with his wordplay and the history of the civil rights movement to our consciousness.

The poet, Elizabeth Alexander, a DC resident, did a great job. I'm posting her poem separately.

Didn't Teddy Kennedy look good, considering the health problems he's had?

Obama's inaugural address was short, clear, serious, and uniting. Very well done.

Michelle Obama looked beautiful, and Malia and Sasha did very well, sitting through a ceremony like this--without even Nintendo to help them sit still!

The whole world is watching and sharing this day with us. India, England, France, Israel, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Kenya, the Vatican, Iraq... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/world/europe/21reax.html?_r=1&hp

No comments:

Post a Comment